Tired of putting on similar types of T-shirts throughout the year?
Here's your remedy to escape the monotony and sport a brand new unique
design of your choice. What's more fascinating is that you yourself will
make it at no time. Designs on T-shirts can easily be painted at home
using fabric colours and a paintbrush. The basic procedure is the same
with just a few variations and modifications made by different people
according to their own needs and feasibility. But the ultimate result is
the same - that is, 'a gorgeous new T-shirt'.
While designing a kid’s T-shirt calls for using more colours, glitters
and funky designs, like animal faces, flowers and cartoon characters;
youth can resort to thematic T-shirts or those that boasts of a super
hero like persona.
Hand designing a T-shirt
As stated earlier hand painting involves similar steps with a few
variations. While some prefer stamping motifs on a T-shirt using a stamp
and colour, others might use a paintbrush to draw a free hand sketch and
fill it with colours. One may also use only letters to make a bold
statement, as some others may sew appliqués and sprinkle glitters to add
a dashing touch.
Basic Steps to design a perfect hand painted T-shirt
- The first step involves washing and drying the T-shirt to
perfect the size without using a cloth softener.
- Select a design and hand paint it using a brush and
water-soluble fabric marker. You could also trace out a design on a
tracing paper and use an iron on transfer pencil to transfer it onto
- Place an aluminium foil or hard cardboard inside the T-shirt to
prevent leaking of colour.
- Prepare a proportionate mixture of colour and fabric medium to
ensure filling the gaps of the design with a soft and washable
paint, while letting it soak completely into the fabric.
- You may outline the borders with a 3-D paint to highlight it and
sprinkle fine washable glitter on the wet paint.
- Allow the T-shirt to dry overnight.
Apart from these general steps, modifications may include things
- Embellishments using sequins may add that extra appeal to your
- Stored up acrylic paints may be converted to fabric paints by
mixing it with textile medium and used for painting T-shirts to save
- Cost may also be saved by purchasing blank T-shirts in bulk if
your necessity demands you to make a bundle of T-shirts.
- Stamp imprints are fabulous ways to design a T-shirt with crazy
motifs and swinging alphabets.
- Ironing a T-shirt after painting and drying it makes the
impression permanent, while stencilling designs on t-shirts lends it
a professional touch.
You may also make a personalized T-shirt with your name on it, though
it might not be a suitable wear for every purpose.
Tie-dyeing or Batiking of T-shirts
Tie-dyeing of T-shirts may be done using simple things like fabric
dyes, rubber gloves and rubber bands. A non-wax batik print is easy to
make through the application of white school glue to make the design.
Let the glue dry up and spray a mixture of colours to fill the design.
Put a hard cardboard inside the T-shirt to prevent leakage and let it
dry overnight before washing it in cold water followed by a machine wash
in hot water and detergent to set colour permanently.